Sunday, February 1, 2009

A wiggle to her walk!

I just spent a tremendously instructive afternoon with Aulis Lind at Taltree Arboretum.  I won't bore you with all of the details --there's literally a pile of manure, preferably horse involved--but his professional, focused advice has moved me immeasurably closer to project completion. 

Kanthu calls this stage "focus formulation", often involving a flash of insight. My interview this afternoon  first made me realize that if this project is going to be really successful, there are two problems that need to be solved first. 

First, my rock hard clay has to be improved. Manure and compost are the short (and cheap) answer, but only because I'm going to have to spend a lot of time with a pitchfork and my garden weasel

Second, I have to deal with the battle for water caused by my beloved trees. Since I'm literally one of those tree hugging  nut cases, this means most of this season's budget is going to be directed to the purchase of rain barrels. 

After that, Aulis agrees that my decision to focus mostly on native plants is correct.  Since these are plants that are accustomed to the acidity caused by the oak leaves, they should spread wildly (pun intended),

So the short list includes bluebells and jonquils for a great blue and yellow contrast. May apples will create a 12-18 ground cover with a delicate white bloom in spring and a deep, shiny green leaf for the rest of the season

Red banesberry will create a tall backdrop at the fence line, with a nice red berry to contrast.  Phlox and wild geranium will create some interest until the hosta and fern grow back out.  Astilbe has a terrific assortment of pastels for late spring and early summer.

Toad lily will be another late blooming groundcover, and the yellow waxbells set off the reds and browns of the rest of the autumn garden.

So there we have it! 

5 comments:

  1. Linda,

    Do you know what it is about the oak leaf that makes the soil acidic? I am curious to find out.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right the blue and yello will look wonderful together. I love those two colors, they are my favorite!! I am thinking spring... I hope it isn't too early for that.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds heavenly :) Ah the garden weasel is the best; the only kind of weasel I want to spend time with...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri, I wish I knew why oaks are acidic. I can find all sorts of support for the notion, and it seems that the fresher the leaves are, the higher the acidity. Apparently, we complicate the problem because we mulch the earliest leaves with the mower because late in the season, raking is our no. 1 weekend activity besides watching the Bears--and the raking lasts longer than the game.
    http://www.mortonarb.org/res/SUNTIMES_NATURESGOLD.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you look at phlox, I really like the "candy stripe" variety. It has little white flowers with pink stripes. It blooms from early spring to mid-summer and does well in shade. I also loved how easy it was to take care of it. I just watered it in the driest part of the summer, and that was it!

    ReplyDelete