Sunday, February 8, 2009

At last, the time has come. . .

I think the biggest problem I've had completing this project is that I didn't want to slow down and think about the processes involved with the product, worrying about the product instead--very concrete random of me.  How can I teach the process effectively if  I don't "grok it in fullness".  I don't want budding information scientists to take 56 years to learn just because I can't communicate in multiple ways.

Younger learners share the same roller coaster of emotions with we geezers, just as Kuhlthal documented in her research nearly 30 years ago (ISP).  As a facilitator of inquiry, it's important that I recognize this so that my interventions are timely and appropriate, while still allowing kids to experience the entire process.  In other words, we all need to learn to experience adversity, so that we can learn to handle it and adapt for it.

On the other hand, major differences exist between me as an extremely mature learner and younger ones, as noted by Lamb:

1.  Younger learners don't have as many "core concepts and experiences".
2.  Their skills in "task analysis" are limited by their lack of experience.
3.  They have less experience in structuring and connecting information.
4.  They haven't learned to analyze their own thought processes.
5.  They aren't as self-controlled. 

This has been an incredible journey.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda,

    I found my wishings to be almost the same as yours (even the PowerPoint, I just didn't have enough time to really do a non-primitive job on mine).

    Your comments about young learners made me think about a posting I had about trying to teach math to students during summer school. I just did all the steps in my head, and wasn't really doing a good job of helping them learn how to get the answers. I guess it's like that with this too... The students will not be able to evaluate or analyze as quickly as I can. I will need to step back and focus on teaching them the process.

    Relax for a day.

    ReplyDelete