Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A new twist to the web

A new step for the process is research into rain barrels.  Actually, even the research itself is recursive backtracking.  I checked into them a few years ago, but backed away because they were too expensive.  However, one thing I've come to accept is that I'm going to continue wasting money on plants if I don't give them enough water.

So I started with a search at about: gardens for installing a do it yourself rain barrel system and found a link to a Florida water management site.  Guess what?  I'm not doing it myself.  The neighborhood association would be picketing if I installed 55 gallon drums!

Even though they're expensive, commercial barrels are more attractive and come with kits for installation; some even come with hoses attached for watering.  Ebay has barrels with free shipping, which will help, but I'm still looking at about $100 each.  Bob, our Super Handyman and Household God, can install these at each corner of the house affordably, so that shoots the budget for this year, sports fans.

On the other hand the ease with which I made these adjustments and decisions reminded me of this week's reading about expert learners: our knowledge is "conditionalized" on circumstances and we can "retrieve . . .knowledge with little attentional effort" (Branford, Cocking, and Brown).

Good news for the AARP girl--at least until the Alzheimers takes over.


2 comments:

  1. Did you ever think about maybe putting large pots at the bottom of your down spouts? Then it is still attractive without maybe the expense. Just a thought. Trust me I feel for you. We did the front of our house with castle wall bricks. Holy cow what a job!! It looks great, but our summer was pretty boring after that.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, I'd love to see your yard and garden. They must be absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete