Saturday, January 17, 2009

Written in December

One of my favorite educators and/or philosophers once posed the following question

A "C"? A "C"? I got a "C" on my coat-hanger sculpture? How could anyone get a "C" in coat-hanger sculpture? [To her teacher:] May I ask a question? Was I judged on the piece of sculpture itself? If so, is it not true that time alone can judge a work of art? Or was I judged on my talent? If so, is it right that I be judged on a part of life over which I have no control? If I was judged on my effort, then I was judged unfairly, for I tried as hard as I could! Was I judged on what I had learned about this project? If so, then were not you, my teacher, also being judged on your ability to transmit your knowledge to me? Are you willing to share my "C"? Perhaps I was being judged on the quality of the coat hanger itself out of which my creation was made . . . now, is this also not unfair? Am I to be judged by the quality of coat hangers that are used by the drycleaning establishment that returns our garments? Is that not the responsibility of my parents? Should they not share my "C"? (C. Schultz, cited in Merhens and Lehmann, p. 479.)

A class that is evaluating HOW I think and learn, or at least how I plan to try to lead others to the grail of metacognition is pretty intimidating.

On the other hand, after twenty-five years of middle school teaching, it's good to be reminded of the anxiety and stress that I undoubtedly cause my own students every day. It's also going to be good to have a valid excuse to pursue new knowledge just because I'm intrigued or inspired, instead of simply running a quick search to answer a basic question!

I know that as an introductory post, I have not included all of the required references, but I really wanted to try to confront my stress! I also wanted to try out blogging before I got serious about the class, so please everyone, especially you, Dr. Lamb, be tolerant.

No comments:

Post a Comment