As I start weighing the questions that I need to ask to complete my project, I am constantly reminded of how my personal learning style is affecting this project.
I've joked for years that ADD is viral and I caught it from my students, but the truth is that the mildly chaotic way I gather information is a reflection of my concrete random learning style. While I finish things, I hate being limited to only 1 possible path to arrive at a destination. Even worse is trying to explain how I got there.
As a teacher, this style has impacted my instruction. For instance, while I can talk about writing process and even demonstrate it, it's still not how I construct my own writing. (As a student, I was always the one who did the required outline AFTER I'd finished the piece.) However, this self-knowledge has really helped me understand myself and my students better; I think it has improved both my own learning and teaching as I try to adapt and differentiate.
According to the Gregoric inventory, there are four dominant styles among adults: abstract random, abstract sequential, concrete random, and concrete sequential. I'm not going to bore you with definitions, but this link will give you a chance to consider the traits of each of these groups:
http://www.csrnet.org/csrnet/articles/student-learning-styles.html
The Gregoric is copyrighted, so you can't take this learning inventory on line, but there are others available for free if you're interested.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment