And I had an epiphany. Now that I'm not joking,the kind of mature learner Kalmer describes with life experience really does give me substantial prior knowledge about where to search for information.
I did a massive web on Inspiration to link my ideas, but after spending 45 minutes trying to copy it into this (So where is that edit icon that the help area claims exists?!?), you're going to get a list.
I. Local organizations, businesses, contacts
Taltree Arboretum which actually has a workshop this weekend I hope I can attend: "The Dirt on Soil" (taltree.org)
Porter County Master Gardeners
County Line Nursery
Samuelson's Nursery
The county extension agent
Jane Foreman, neighbor and notable maven
II. Books and Magazines
Fine Gardening
Horticulture
Gardening How To
Garden Design
The Shady Border: Shade Loving Perennials for Season Long Color
Shade: Ideas and Inspirations for Shady Gardens
Got Shade?
III. Websites and databases
INPAWS (Indiana native plants database) : (inpaws.org)
Chicago Botanic Gardens: (chicagobotanic.org)
About.com: Gardening ( a reliable go-to with great links): landscaping/about.com
Purdue University Dept. of Horticulture: (hort.purdue.edu/ext/pubs/HO_222.pdf)
Gardens (great source for shade plants, especially hosta): (bridgewood gardens.com)
Park Seed: (parkseed.com)
Park Seed: (parkseed.com)
Burpee Seeds: (burpee.com)
Wayside Gardens (tons of unusual, hard to find plants that always arrive in good condition): (waysidegardens.com)
University of Minnesota: Gardening in the Shade: (extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1428.html)
University of Missouri: Gardening in the Shade: (extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/hort/g06911.htm)
How did I find this stuff? The local things came from just thinking about who and what I already know. The books and magazines came from a virtual trip to Barnes and Noble. The garden and seed websites are places that I've already used successfully. INPAWS came from an inspiration to Google "Indiana and native plants." About gave me a lot of links to shady pages, but the university sites seemed most reliable, probably because I have strong biases in favor of .edus and .orgs.
Sorry this is really boring, but what do you expect if I'm working before I have a cup of coffee!
Wayside Gardens (tons of unusual, hard to find plants that always arrive in good condition): (waysidegardens.com)
University of Minnesota: Gardening in the Shade: (extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1428.html)
University of Missouri: Gardening in the Shade: (extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/hort/g06911.htm)
How did I find this stuff? The local things came from just thinking about who and what I already know. The books and magazines came from a virtual trip to Barnes and Noble. The garden and seed websites are places that I've already used successfully. INPAWS came from an inspiration to Google "Indiana and native plants." About gave me a lot of links to shady pages, but the university sites seemed most reliable, probably because I have strong biases in favor of .edus and .orgs.
Sorry this is really boring, but what do you expect if I'm working before I have a cup of coffee!
No comments:
Post a Comment