At least I can start by considering the project site.
The existing garden is huge and is on the north side of our house. To the east is a wooded ravine that is a utility easement and a superhighway for deer, bunnies, and an occasional coyote. The area to the north of our yard is a heavily wooded neighborhood of lake cottages. To the west is our neighbor's shady and beautifully landscaped back yard.
Along the tall back wooden fence at the back of the lot that divides us from the adjoining neighborhood, the garden border ranges in depth from 8 feet to a really massive 15 feet at the center. This section includes in the center section 3 full size pines of indeterminate species (they were here when we moved in 15 years ago) and on either side 4 bushes. I know one of them is arrowroot because I planted it, but again, the rest were here when I arrived.
Along the house's foundation, I've created a continuous sculptured bed to enclose the 9 adult red oak and shag bark hickories in our back yard. This bed has grown in size every year as I concede more and more traditional "lawn" to the incredibly shady summer conditions. Last year I installed a large river rock border and flagstone paths to give it a more finished look. However this also nearly doubled the size of an already large garden. This area needs lots more plants, but the stones emptied my gardening budget for last year!
The existing garden is huge and is on the north side of our house. To the east is a wooded ravine that is a utility easement and a superhighway for deer, bunnies, and an occasional coyote. The area to the north of our yard is a heavily wooded neighborhood of lake cottages. To the west is our neighbor's shady and beautifully landscaped back yard.
Along the tall back wooden fence at the back of the lot that divides us from the adjoining neighborhood, the garden border ranges in depth from 8 feet to a really massive 15 feet at the center. This section includes in the center section 3 full size pines of indeterminate species (they were here when we moved in 15 years ago) and on either side 4 bushes. I know one of them is arrowroot because I planted it, but again, the rest were here when I arrived.
Along the house's foundation, I've created a continuous sculptured bed to enclose the 9 adult red oak and shag bark hickories in our back yard. This bed has grown in size every year as I concede more and more traditional "lawn" to the incredibly shady summer conditions. Last year I installed a large river rock border and flagstone paths to give it a more finished look. However this also nearly doubled the size of an already large garden. This area needs lots more plants, but the stones emptied my gardening budget for last year!
With these issues in mind, here is my initial list of subsidiary questions:
1. What plants are most suitable to the climate, soil, and existing landscaping of my backyard?
2. Of these, which are the hardiest, lowest maintenance, and most deer and bunny resistant?
3. What are the blooming period of these?
4. Which plants have the contribute most to the existing theme (if you want to call it that!) in terms of size and appearance?
5. Can I find plants that can be used as ground cover? I'd like to get away from commercial mulch.
5. Can I find plants that can be used as ground cover? I'd like to get away from commercial mulch.
5. What about cost? What's going to give me the most floral bang for my buck?
Cool. Stripling is right; this project IS going to give me some "long lasting, in depth learning"(6), in a project that is not just "constructivist" but an actual construction!
What kind of soil is in the garden? I mean are you blessed with the wonderful water holding clay that most of us in Indiana are lucky to have. (Yes, that is a hint of sarcasim there) Or is the bed full of perfect top soil that you had to buy and then pay to have put there?
ReplyDeleteTerri
Of course it's clay--really acid clay because of the oak leaves!
ReplyDeleteBuy? Are you getting a lot more for teaching than I am?